Welcome to Episode 36 of Show Tunes with Kate Botello! Coming up: when rock stars make musical theatre, the shows tend to either be soaring successes or massive flops. We’ll hear from both. At Intermission, why actors won’t say the FORBIDDEN WORD - and other superstitions for theatre types. In Act Two, we’ll hear from some hugely successful, long-running shows, both of which are kind of surprising.
Click through for this week's playlist!
Here's this week's playlist:
- JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR (1970) - Overture
- SPIDER-MAN: TURN OFF THE DARK (2010) - Boy Falls from the Sky
- HANDS ON A HARDBODY (2013) - Human Drama Kind of Thing
- RANDY NEWMAN'S FAUST (1995) - Life Has Been Good to Me
- THE WHO'S TOMMY (1993) - Pinball Wizard
- QUEEN: WE WILL ROCK YOU (2002) - Somebody to Love
- ROCK OF AGES (2009) - Don't Stop Believin'
INTERMISSION: We take look the what-and-why of some common theatre superstitions.
- OH! CALCUTTA (1969/1976) - Oh! Calcutta* (*Note: this recording is a cover by the Starlight Orchestra & Singers)
- THE MAGIC SHOW (1974) - Lion Tamer
- JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR (1970) - John 19:41
Here's a clip from HANDS ON A HARDBODY at the 2013 Tony Awards:
Did you spend some time on the boards yourself? We'd love to hear your Musical Theatre War Stories - and share them on the air! Tell us about your biggest triumphs, your catastrophic failures, your near-misses and brilliant saves. Call the IPR Comment Line at 231-276-4444 and leave us a message. We'd also love to hear your Show Tune requests so we can play your favorites!