Welcome to Episode 24 of Show Tunes with Kate Botello! Coming up - theatre is murder - we’ll hear from some musical whodunits. We’ll hear a couple of more songs from this year’s Tony-nominated shows, and at Intermission - talk about a few mysterious Tony snubs. In Act Two, grab a rose to throw between your teeth, because tonight… we tango.
Click through for this week's playlist and a clip of some 50's hipster choreography at its best!
Here's this week's playlist:
- REDHEAD (1959) - Overture
- BAKER STREET (1965) - It's So Simple
- THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD (1985) - Jasper's Confession
- CURTAINS (2007) - He Did It
- THE COLOR PURPLE (2015 revival) - I'm Here
- FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (2016 revival) - Tevye's Monologue
INTERMISSION: Speaking of mysteries - we'll take a look at some mysteriously missing Tony nominations. Plus: Audra McDonald (winner of a record 6 Tony awards) with, "Your Daddy's Son," from RAGTIME (1998).
- GREASE (1994 revival) - Beauty School Dropout
- THE PAJAMA GAME (1954) - Hernando's Hideaway
- RENT (1996) - Tango: Maureen
- CANDIDE (1956) - I'm Easily Assimilated
- BRIGHT STAR (2016) - At Long Last
- REDHEAD (1959) - Chase and Finale
Please do check out the super-clever staging of, "Hernando's Hideaway," in the 1957 movie version of THE PAJAMA GAME. It's about as 50's hep as it gets:
Did you spend some time on the boards yourself? We'd love to hear your Musical Theatre War Stories - and share them on the air! Tell us about your biggest triumphs, your catastrophic failures, your near-misses and brilliant saves. Call the IPR Comment Line at 231-276-4444 and leave us a message. We'd also love to hear your Show Tune requests so we can play your favorites!