Welcome to Episode 23 of Show Tunes with Kate Botello! Coming up- a salute to Mr. Broadway, George M. Cohan. And - for the first time in Tony history, five shows are up for Best Musical this year. We’ll hear from three of them. At Intermission, our friend Bill Church suffers for his art. In Act Two, we’ll get play dress- up with Little Edie, an Egyptian princess, and a comic legend.
Click through for this week's playlist!
Here's this week's playlist!
- SPAMALOT (2005) - Tuning, Overture, Historian's Introduction to Act I, Finland/Fisch Schlapping Dance
- GEORGE M! (1968) - Musical Moon, Oh You Wonderful Boy, All Aboard for Broadway
- LITTLE JOHNNY JONES (1904) - Give My Regards to Broadway (George M. Cohan live!)
- YANKEE DOODLE DANDY (film - 1942) - The Yankee Doodle Boy
- HAMILTON (2016) - Helpless
- SHUFFLE ALONG (1921) - Love Will Find a Way
- SHE LOVES ME (1963) - No More Candy
INTERMISSION: Interlochen Arts Academy Director of Theatre Arts Bill Church has worked on so many shows, he can't remember how many. He has no problem remembering a fateful fight in ROMEO AND JULIET, however. Plus: WEST SIDE STORY (1957) - The Rumble.
- GREY GARDENS (2006) - The Revolutionary Costume for the Day
- AIDA (2000) - My Strongest Suit
- ZIEGFIELD FOLLIES OF 1921 - Second-Hand Rose
- NINE (1982) - I Can't Make this Movie
- SPAMALOT (2005) - Act II Finale
As promised, here's Jimmy Cagney and his nifty dancing style!
...and here he is going down some stairs - magnificently.
Did you spend some time on the boards yourself? We'd love to hear your Musical Theatre War Stories - and share them on the air! Tell us about your biggest triumphs, your catastrophic failures, your near-misses and brilliant saves. Call the IPR Comment Line at 231-276-4444 and leave us a message. We'd also love to hear your Show Tune requests so we can play your favorites!