Deb Lake managed to eke out an hour before the Traverse City Film Festival and share some of her favorite film music with us. It was probably the most time she'd spent sitting down in weeks. Deb's been the Executive Director of the TCFF since 2006 and has been a volunteer with the Festival since its very first year. Film Festival is her Crunch Time, so we had a lovely breather, listening to some great music together. Don't worry if you missed it - we have it right here.
Hear the music and conversation below, or click, "Read more," to listen to the playlist.
These are some of Deb's favorite pieces, from some of her favorite movies - and boy, does this lady know movies! She specifically chose music that had a powerful effect in its time on film. Grab some popcorn, and enjoy!
(UPDATE: Note for those listening to the streaming link - you'll have to wait to buy tickets for next year's Festival, but the TCFF website is active all year long.)
GREAT FILMS AND GREAT MUSIC: DEB LAKE, TRAVERSE CITY FILM FESTIVAL
Listen on Spotify, below, or click here (links to the web player; opens a new browser window. Account required (free).
DEB LAKE'S PLAYLIST:
- BADLANDS: Orff, Musik fur Kinder, No. 15
- MANHATTAN: Gershwin, Rhapsody in Blue (Gershwin piano roll!)
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE: Beethoven, Ode to Joy (and all of Symphony No. 9)
- NE ME QUITTE PAS (Don't Leave Me): Faure, Pavane
- M, THE SOCIAL NETWORK, trailers galore!: Grieg, In the Hall of the Mountain King
- THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS: Bach, Goldberg Variations, Aria and Variations 5-8
- NATURAL BORN KILLERS, EXCALIBUR (Kate's fave use of the piece!), trailers: Orff, O Fortuna
- THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION: Mozart, Sull'aria...che soave zeffiretto
- RAGING BULL: Mascagni, Cavalleria Rusticana - Intermezzo
- THERE WILL BE BLOOD: Brahms, Violin Concerto in D, Movement III
- 2001, A SPACE ODYSSEY: R. Strauss, Also Sprach Zarathustra
- 5 TO 7: Mahler, Symphony No. 5 in C-Sharp Minor, I. Trauermarsch
- 2001, A SPACE ODYSSEY: J. Strauss II, The Blue Danube
- APOCALYPSE NOW: Wagner, Ride of the Valkyries